Thursday, January 6, 2022

 

7–30 January 2022

SELF-PORTRAITS

Galleria Huuto

Kalevankatu 43, Helsinki. Open: Tue-Sun 12-17


A Room. Charcoal on paper. 150 x 189 cm. 2021. Photo: Laura Ukkonen

I have created self-portraits. I have both told myself and given myself permission to look at and draw myself – my face, arms, skinfolds, stomach and legs. At first, I drew close-ups of my face, but soon the figures developed into entire bodies and my eyes began to wander round the rooms, noticing plants and other everyday items. The works are charcoal drawings and woodcuts. 
 
I have created the works featured in the exhibition over the past few years, while going through the early stages of burnout, trying different pain medications and antidepressants and coming off medication. At times I did not recognize the person in the mirror, but sometimes the person looked more familiar. By drawing, I have tried to figure out who I am right now. 
 
I have drawn self-portraits since I was a teenager, probably because it allows me to find my identity over and over again. I also enjoy working alone, so often the easiest option is to use myself as my model. Focusing on the lights and shadows on one’s body is also about curiosity towards humanity in general, which exists in all of us, not just me.

I wish to thank the Arts Promotion Centre Finland (Taike) for supporting my exhibition and work.

 
OMAKUVIA
Olen tehnyt omakuvia. Olen sekä käskenyt että antanut itselleni luvan katsoa ja piirtää itseäni: kasvojani, käsiäni, ihopoimujani, vatsaani ja jalkojani. Aluksi tein lähikuvia kasvoista, mutta pian hahmot kasvoivat kokonaisiksi kehoiksi ja katseeni harhautui huoneisiin, kasveihin ja arkiesineisiin. Työt ovat hiili- ja puupiirroksia. Näyttelyn työt ovat muutaman viime vuoden ajalta ja olen tehnyt niitä läpi alkavan uupumuksen, kipu- ja mielialalääkekokeilujen ja lääkkeiden lopettamisen. Peilistä on heijastunut vuoroin vieras ja välillä taas tutumpi ihminen. Piirtämällä olen yrittänyt tunnistaa, kuka olen tällä hetkellä. 
 
Olen piirtänyt omakuvia teini-ikäisestä saakka kai siksi, että siten löydän identiteettini yhä uudelleen. Työskentelen myös mielelläni yksin, joten on usein luontevinta käyttää itseään mallina. Keskittyminen kehon valoihin ja varjoihin on uteliaisuutta myös yleisesti ihmisyyttä kohtaan, joka on kaikissa, ei vain minussa.

 


No comments:

Post a Comment